If you're ready for a zombie apocalypse, then you're ready for any emergency. emergency.cdc.gov
playing poker and teaching science: Chop, chop, chop.
My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle school science teacher, wrestling coach, poker player, scuba diver, aikido black belt, amateur writer, and student of life. In the past I have tried to give back a little by volunteering at a children's home in Belmopan, Belize, Central America. I also love Frosted Flakes. I have taken a year sabbatical from my teaching position in order to sail the Caribbean. Does that sound crazy to you?

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Chop, chop, chop.

Another score at my weekly home game! With eight players this week the play was very rock-esk for the first three levels and as players began to drop I found myself winning a small pot here and there to stay alive, but since we were only paying the top two spots, third was the same money as eighth so I carefully looked for a place to make a move.

I was able to take advantage of some lucky play of The Guy Catching Cards Out Of His Ass, who had already eliminated two playes, when he called the all-in play by the next to smallest stack. Under the gun moved all-in with KQs and was called by TGCCOOHA who was holding a pair of ducks. Behind him was the short stack who called to triple up with AQ. The board missed everyone and I was in the top three.

Down to the top three I was able to take advantage of my table image as a solid player winning a huge pot with KQs. I made a big raise pre-flop which was called by TGCCOOHA and then moved all-in without even looking at the board after the flop. Actually I was looking at the board out of my peripheral vision, but TGCCOOHA was looking at me during the flop, looking for weakness and I showed nary a bit. He folded without even thinking about it and I was able to coast into the top two.

The Chop:

This has become a very friendly game with a lot of camaraderie and a few guys that drift in and out donating money to the cause. I’ve made it to the top two twice lately and chopped the winnings, once 50/50 and last night about 60/40 as I was behind in the chip count.

There are some players who never chop and if this was some prestigious tournament with a huge payout……nah…. I love to win but making it to the top two or three is a win as far as I’m concerned especially when you consider the fact that rising blinds eventually make it a coin toss anyway and in this case I really didn’t want to be tossing a coin with TGCCOOHA I don’t mind taking the guaranteed money. Also, moving on to the limit portion of the evening is as important as the tournament.

I have now officially made enough money playing poker to pay for my Vegas trip. In the words of Napoleon Dynamite, “Sweet!”

I won’t be chopping in Vegas. Winning the blogger’s tournament and becoming a paragraph in blogs all over the web will be my 15 minutes of fame!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home