If you're ready for a zombie apocalypse, then you're ready for any emergency. emergency.cdc.gov
playing poker and teaching science: Trumpin’ along
My Photo
Name:
Location: Honolulu, HI, United States

I'm a middle school science teacher, wrestling coach, poker player, scuba diver, aikido black belt, amateur writer, and student of life. In the past I have tried to give back a little by volunteering at a children's home in Belmopan, Belize, Central America. I also love Frosted Flakes. I took a year-long sabbatical from my science teaching position in order to sail the Caribbean, retired from teaching in Indiana and now teach at a Honolulu middle school.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Trumpin’ along

I had a chance to play at the Trump east of Chicago after training some teachers last Friday and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Shelly from Hella Hold’em joined me for a couple of hours (okay, four) of $3/$6 and came out exactly ONE big bet ahead. That’s a 25% big bet per hour profit.

That’s better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but not really incentive to turn pro just yet.

I had the first-hand-played luck again as I was dealt KQs in the big blind in a kill pot and was called down all the way betting top pair, reasonably good kicker to go up $40 from the onset. Later my QQ went down but JJ held up. Go figure.

Shelly had an odd occurrence however. She called a $12 bet in a kill pot by tossing out a $25 green chip (damn those look cool in your stack in a $3/$6 game!) and the dealer tossed over a white chip and slid a $12 bet toward her but then pulled it back in the pot. She ended up chopping the pot and then the dealer told her she had already given her change.

The guy she split the pot with let her have her change because he wasn’t interested in waiting for another resolution, but I am absolutely POSITIVE she didn’t get change even though one of the regulars said she did. Shelly was directly between me and the dealer so there was no way I would have missed her getting change because I was wondering when the dealer was going to make change.

I was in a couple pots with Shelly but I don’t recall us ever going heads up. I think once you read a person’s blog for a while you get a feel for how he/her plays. When I have the best of it I bet and rake in the money from the chasers. The only time I slow played a pot was K10 when I flopped trips and turned a full house. By checking to the river I picked up one bet I wouldn’t have earlier, but the bettor folded to my raise.

I have to ask others about this: I sometimes show huge hands. I think it gives me the chance to bluff later on. Are others astute enough to pick up the info I allow them to have and fold later? I don’t know.

Another area to research……cool!

2 Comments:

Blogger Easycure said...

I agree with G-Rob that in low-limit you're only going to get three 0r four other players on the table smart enough to notice.

But, in NL MTT play, it works well to show off big hands. It may cost you a final bet here and there, but people will respect your semi-bluffs later on. This works especially well at a tight table when nobody is going anywhere for a while. When the blinds start getting tight, you can still push people off of pots with semi-bluffs.

4:25 AM  
Blogger Shelly said...

Good times :)

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home