If you're ready for a zombie apocalypse, then you're ready for any emergency. emergency.cdc.gov
playing poker and teaching science: How you know your girlfriend doesn’t trust you…
My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle school science teacher, wrestling coach, poker player, scuba diver, aikido black belt, amateur writer, and student of life. In the past I have tried to give back a little by volunteering at a children's home in Belmopan, Belize, Central America. I also love Frosted Flakes. I have taken a year sabbatical from my teaching position in order to sail the Caribbean. Does that sound crazy to you?

Monday, September 26, 2005

How you know your girlfriend doesn’t trust you…

The new girlfriend has shown an interest in poker (yes, I know, we’ll see how long THAT lasts) so I agree to play a few hands and show her the ropes.

She pulls out some plastic “poker” chips, which are absolutely impossible to riffle by the way, and I shuffle up and deal.

Using the classic No Fold Em Hold Em gambit, she successfully cuts my stack of white, blue, and a color-which-can-only-be-described as red chips nearly in half despite nearly flawless play on my part.

I bet when I had the best of it. She called me down and sucked me out on the river time and time again. I slowed my betting with my Broadway straight when she called a big bet on the flop and a third spade fell on the turn. A fourth came on the river and her 92 offsuit, where the deuce was a spade, took the pot. Her "pair" of nines lost to me aces, but the board of A678, along with her kicker 5 gave her a straight.

She “felt” it, apparently, over and over.

Then it happened. I see a flop of Q75 while holding 97 suited. Small bet called. The turn is another 7, I bet, she calls. The turn is a small blank so I bet a moderate amount to take the pot with my set of sevens. She raises and flashes her cards, 74.

“Wait,” I tell her. “I have the option of calling or raising here.”

“I raise all-in.”

“But you saw my cards,” She said in her ever-so-cute Bulgarian accent, which sounds A LOT like Teddy KGB.

“That’s right. I saw your cards. So that means by pushing all-in that I must be able to beat the hand you’re holding.”

“You are bluffing. I call.”

I take the pot with a bigger kicker.

I don’t think she trusts me…..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home