If you're ready for a zombie apocalypse, then you're ready for any emergency. emergency.cdc.gov
playing poker and teaching science: Playing well and taking names
My Photo
Name:
Location: Honolulu, HI, United States

I'm a middle school science teacher, wrestling coach, poker player, scuba diver, aikido black belt, amateur writer, and student of life. In the past I have tried to give back a little by volunteering at a children's home in Belmopan, Belize, Central America. I also love Frosted Flakes. I took a year-long sabbatical from my science teaching position in order to sail the Caribbean, retired from teaching in Indiana and now teach at a Honolulu middle school.

Monday, October 10, 2005

Playing well and taking names

I sat at a home, one-table tourney last Thursday night and had a great time! I don’t get to play enough live and even though the buy-in was only $10, to walk out a winner was a lot of fun.

Interestingly, there were absolutely no memorable hands with the exception being when I was dealt AK suited in the big blind, called a 3x the big blind bet and then moved all-in after a raggedy, 10-high flop. I found out later that my opponent, a solid player, was holding 88, giving me only 6 outs or a 24 percent chance of catching an overcard. He folded. I told him I flopped a set…

The question comes to mind then: How often will you win a one-table tourney with no memorable hands? You play good cards in good position and win the ones you should win and fold the hands where you know you’re beaten.

I think this happens a lot. AA, KK, and (usually) QQ will hold up in a good game and will only go down in flames the standard number of times.

You steal a few times, but only with good drawing hands and the all-in hand you get heads up gets called as they all finally do.

You win. Nothing to remember, except the fact that you played well.

I can live with that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shelly said...

I finish games with no recollection of big hands all the time! Sometimes there just aren't many big ones :) Just the usual... Hey will you be up at Trump Thursday night? Drop me an email - I'll head up there!

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home