If you're ready for a zombie apocalypse, then you're ready for any emergency. emergency.cdc.gov
playing poker and teaching science: When things go your way
My Photo
Name:
Location: Honolulu, HI, United States

I'm a middle school science teacher, wrestling coach, poker player, scuba diver, aikido black belt, amateur writer, and student of life. In the past I have tried to give back a little by volunteering at a children's home in Belmopan, Belize, Central America. I also love Frosted Flakes. I took a year-long sabbatical from my science teaching position in order to sail the Caribbean, retired from teaching in Indiana and now teach at a Honolulu middle school.

Thursday, February 24, 2005

When things go your way

Have you ever had one of those moments in life when everything comes together just perfectly when it seems like things are not going that well? I had one of those moments last night when everything came together and I was one with the cosmos.

First, I was already in a bad mood because I had to go grocery shopping. I don't mind shopping at Marsh because I know where everything is, but I found out that food is cheaper at Walmart so I ventured out to stock up on edibles.

Before I went to Walmart however I stopped by Kohls to pay my bill. I hate charge cards but I allowed Kohls to give me one because you get a discount when you use it. But I will never use it again! They won't let you pay your bill on line AND they won't accept a credit OR debit card as payment in the store. WHAT??!!?? I have to actually WRITE a check and send it somewhere in an envelope?? What is this, the 20th century??

But I digress.

So I was angry with the Kohls insanity but stopped by the shoe department to look at tennies. I am very particular about comfort when it comes to shoes because as a teacher I'm on my feet a lot and also have very wide, although attractive I'm sure, feet. Therefore, I don't buy shoes very often. When I find a comfortable pair I will wear them until they are simply unpresentable for public display, and have been known to wear them way past that point periodically.

The Nike shoes I was wearing were getting to the point that they really needed to be retired but alas, I had not found a suitable replacement.

Then I saw them.....there.....on the shelf....the EXACT same shoe I was wearing! I scanned the shelves and found MANY extra wide shoes. But did they have my size? I looked at every box......no, they didn't. *sigh*

So I looked at several other shoes and even tried on a few. No luck. None matched the comfort and the manly style of my current Nikes.

Then, just as I was about to leave the shoe department, I looked at my favorite shoe on the shelves longingly one last time. Wait.....what is that? Behind the shoes on the shelf, THERE ARE MORE SHOES!!! Whose evil idea was that? Hiding shoes from sight? What an twisted joke!

So I looked and YES! My size........but again I was disappointed because although these shoes were the right size and style, the color was just wrong. I wanted the simple white and these had a black toe. They wouldn't do.

I saw one last box with my size on the side way on the bottom in the back. I looked inside knowing they would not do. They were perfect! They were right size, the right color, AND extra wide.

Then I came home, played a one-table SNG, and placed first (poker content).

Life is good!

Thanks for reading.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I felt the same way the day I finally found my boots. Nice post!

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home