If you're ready for a zombie apocalypse, then you're ready for any emergency. emergency.cdc.gov
playing poker and teaching science: My best play to date
My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle school science teacher, wrestling coach, poker player, scuba diver, aikido black belt, amateur writer, and student of life. In the past I have tried to give back a little by volunteering at a children's home in Belmopan, Belize, Central America. I also love Frosted Flakes. I have taken a year sabbatical from my teaching position in order to sail the Caribbean. Does that sound crazy to you?

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

My best play to date

Big Slick……the name alone is daunting. It’s big AND it’s slick. I wonder if it had another name if it would be overplayed so badly. If it were named “Little Timmy” would it be so overplayed after the flop?

Here’s the situation: I am the chip leader by a narrow margin in a Royal Vegas step tourney, approximately 6000 TC out of the 15000 in play with three players left and the blind at 200/400. The top two only advance to the next level and third gets another shot at the current level. Number two in chip is on my immediate right. He has played a little erratically, but has also shown down some good hands.

I am dealt Big Slick. Not just Big Slick, buy Big Slick suited (or soooooooted if you prefer). Pretty nice cards three-handed so I raise on the button to 900, small blind folds and the big blind calls. The flop comes 4,4, 10 rainbow and the big blind BETS $1200!!!

What the hell??!!?? Doesn’t he know I have Big friggin’ Slick? I’m going all in and show him a thing or two!

I thought that, but what I actually did was think for a while and then fold. While it was unlikely he was holding a 4, it was entirely possible that he was holding a 10. I actually was putting him on A10, but he could have a set of 10’s, which would reduce me to the runner-runner suckout option while facing another bet on the turn and on the river.

A fold seemed prudent.

I folded and went on to place second, winning a seat in the next level and simply going all-in on the first hand after making second place because I was a 3-1 chip underdog and I had already accomplished my goal, living to play another day.

Big Slick is a tough lay down, but it’s a lay down that has to be considered.

Thanks for reading.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Oh! I love how you write about those hands... what a tough fold, but good call and good finish.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home