If you're ready for a zombie apocalypse, then you're ready for any emergency. emergency.cdc.gov
playing poker and teaching science: Sit-N-Go save
My Photo
Name:
Location: Honolulu, HI, United States

I'm a middle school science teacher, wrestling coach, poker player, scuba diver, aikido black belt, amateur writer, and student of life. In the past I have tried to give back a little by volunteering at a children's home in Belmopan, Belize, Central America. I also love Frosted Flakes. I took a year-long sabbatical from my science teaching position in order to sail the Caribbean, retired from teaching in Indiana and now teach at a Honolulu middle school.

Friday, December 17, 2004

Sit-N-Go save

If you play a lot of poker, you will often get one of those hands that you overplayed ever so slightly that turns into a win and a pivotal hand for the game or tournament and I had one of those last night during a 6-handed, one table sit-n-go. I limped into an unraised pot on the button with KQ. The flop came Q92 with all diamonds and the small blind bet out so I put him on a Queen with a small kicker or maybe a high diamond so I bet all-in to push him off the pot and he called. I like Ultimate Bet because when players are all in against one another the cards are turned up, but his cards showed the 63 of diamonds so he had a made flush and I was out of the tourney. Or was I? I proceeded to catch runner-runner deuces for QQ222 and sent him packing. Oops.

I went on to win the S-N-G.

Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you.

I also saw some good play and good luck from the third place finisher. He was down to only FIVE chips early on and came back to be the chip leader for a while before going broke.

Limping in, going broke, under the gun……don’t you love poker terminology?

Thanks for reading.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Even the small tourneys are nice to win, aren't they?

I'm totally amazed about how you can remember certain bets on certain cards. When I'm busy reading the other players, I'm done with that hand as soon as the next two cards are dealt. If I've learned something that will help me in the next hand, I file it away. Next time I play, I'm going to try and remember at least one hand and how it's played.

Great story, thanks for sharing.

5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home