If you're ready for a zombie apocalypse, then you're ready for any emergency. emergency.cdc.gov
playing poker and teaching science: The more things change...
My Photo
Name:
Location: Honolulu, HI, United States

I'm a middle school science teacher, wrestling coach, poker player, scuba diver, aikido black belt, amateur writer, and student of life. In the past I have tried to give back a little by volunteering at a children's home in Belmopan, Belize, Central America. I also love Frosted Flakes. I took a year-long sabbatical from my science teaching position in order to sail the Caribbean, retired from teaching in Indiana and now teach at a Honolulu middle school.

Monday, December 13, 2004

The more things change...

It's been a while since I wrote so it's time to get back to cyberwork.

I'm not satisfied with my poker playing. I know there are a TON of players out there who just sit and play and rely on their individual play and experience to make them better poker players. I tend to think there is more than just playing that makes one better. Playing, sure, but reading, and watching others play as well. Talking about playing also would be good, but it would be hard to met with a group and not have a game break out!

So my research continues as I continue to play.

In the mean time, my Omaha 8/b play experiment continues to keep me in the black. I play O8/b very conservatively at low levels and then when I make a little money, enter a SNG and play hold em and try to roll it into some bigger money. I play a fairly tight hold em game most of the time so by the time the blinds get over 100 TC I am often short stacked and either limp into the money or bubble out attempting to double up.

So I've been experimenting with more aggressive play in the third and forth level to try to get higher in the money. The results have been "inconclusive" at best. In the last six games, I have won two and finished out of the money the other four, leaving me at a break even point.

I'm sure there is a startegy that combines the two approaches that I have yet to find. Maybe some more research is in order.

One fun hand I'll relate is the following: I am dealth 46o in the small blind and limp in to a flop of 235 rainbow. I check the nut straight and call a small bet. The turn is a blank and I bet out small and get one caller. The river brings an ace, I make a small bet and get raised big. I'm thinking, "BINGO, one of those ace chasers is about to get burned." I double his bet. He re-raises me! I go all in loving every second of it. He calls and turns over 46. We laugh about how we were each so proud of ourselves for trapping the other guy and chop the pot.

Sometimes trapping can be a bad thing and I'm glad I was on the winning end of it last night when I received Q8 in the BB and checked to a flop of 886. It was checked around with two other players. The turn was a blank and I checked again and called a small bet. Down to two players when the river brings a Q to fill my boat. I make a moderate bet and get raised by a player slow playing his Ace 8 and take down a nice sized pot. He was mad that I got lucky, but it was one of those hands neither of us could have gotten away from anyway.

I am going to try some Omaha hi over break and see where that leads. I would like to be able to play a number of games well eventually.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home