If you're ready for a zombie apocalypse, then you're ready for any emergency. emergency.cdc.gov
playing poker and teaching science: The Look
My Photo
Name:
Location: Honolulu, HI, United States

I'm a middle school science teacher, wrestling coach, poker player, scuba diver, aikido black belt, amateur writer, and student of life. In the past I have tried to give back a little by volunteering at a children's home in Belmopan, Belize, Central America. I also love Frosted Flakes. I took a year-long sabbatical from my science teaching position in order to sail the Caribbean, retired from teaching in Indiana and now teach at a Honolulu middle school.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Look

There’s not much better in poker than the look on an opponents face when he turns his cards up proudly showing what he thinks is a winning hand, only to be shown the REAL winner. There is a nice example of it when Tom “Drrrrrr” Dwan was beat by trip deuces during high stakes poker last season.

I had that happen twice at the Daytona Dog Track and Poker Room during spring break, and both times was being bet into with an obvious winner. It was a nice exercise in emotion control as a second five came on the turn to a board of J45 while I was holding pocket jacks. Mr. Two Pair turned fives over fours while I improved to jacks over fives. He bet big, I raised all-in for the last of my stack, he called and smiled as he TOSSED his hand toward me.

He was apoplectic when I turned over my two jacks. It was hysterical.

The other hand I was drawn into a winner when trip threes checked the flop and I caught a third five to turn fives over threes to his threes over fives. Boat over boat is a huge money maker, and those two wins put me ahead more than two and one half buy-ins for my three sessions playing last week.

Can't wait to see "The Look" again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home